Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Now, where was I?

First of all, I must apologise for my absence just when things were starting to get a bit juicy. There are a few reasons why I haven’t been blogging and I suspect that readers can relate to them:

  1. My personality type is not suited to blogging. I get really enthusiastic about things, persist for a while and then let them just fizzle out. To be a good blogger requires greater self-discipline and persistence than I have.
  2. When I can’t hear well, I can think of nothing but how badly I can hear. It gets me down and I feel the need to get things off of my chest. When I can hear relatively easily, I appreciate it so much that I don’t spend every waking moment fretting about or dwelling on my deafness. In short, I have managed to improve my hearing aid programs and a huge weight has been eased off of my shoulders. Being released from prison probably feels much the same. I have been enjoying life so much that I have had little time for anything else.
  3. So much happened in a short space of time concerning this project that I felt unable to document it in a logical sequence. I still can’t. So you will just get bits of the jigsaw puzzle here and there. You can assemble the puzzle yourself. I will try not to give you too many bits from some other jigsaw puzzle!
More posts are coming but here’s a brief summary of where I am up to:

  • I spent something like 75 hours programming my hearing aids. It was a trial and error process as I learned my way around the software. There were highs and lows – progress was in both directions.
  • My hearing is far better now than it has been over the last five years. My head is not in a bucket anymore. I am enjoying music and birdsong all over again. I can’t tell you quite how great that feels.
  • I have a great sense of empowerment, liberation and freedom; at last I have some control over my situation.
  • I’m more convinced than ever that do-it-yourself programming is the right way to go. I fully intend to make sure that I can continue programming my hearing aids into the future.
  • The job still isn’t done. Programming is surprisingly exhausting and I need a break in which to gather the strength to make further adjustments.
  • As well as the hardware and software, you also need to have an experimental attitude and patience. Buckets of it.
  • If you’re thinking about trying to program your own hearing aids, stop wasting time! Do it! I sincerely wish that I had bought the gear five years ago and I wholeheartedly recommend the approach. It might not work for you but that’s a risk that’s probably worth taking.

2 comments:

  1. What company did you buy your Hearing Aid and software from? I know anything would be better
    than going to the Audiologist. Every time my
    Widex came back from repair, they would have a problem with programming it and want me to buy a new one.Does everyone have the same problem? I have had two Audiologist and they had the same problem, you need a new one because we know how to program the new hearing aids. How much of this BS can anybody take. This started after it was a year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hearing aids are provided by my hospital. It saves me a lot of money but also means that I get little say in which hearing aids I get, how they are set up and how they are maintained.

    There's a comment on my February "Progress and unavoidable schizophrenia" article which mentions Widex handheld programmers and it might just help you.

    Hi-Pro USB programming interfaces can be found on ebay (usually from the USA or Canada). You will also need to buy the correct lead to go between your hearing aid and the Hi-Pro interface. I don't know what type of lead you will need; it depends on manufacturer and hearing aid model. Regarding software, maybe this site will help you to find what you need:
    http://www.widexpro.com/wps/portal/compass

    The above information is given in good faith and I take no responsibility for its accuracy. I would be most interested to hear what progress you make!

    ReplyDelete